Saturday, August 23, 2008

August 22nd, last day on site

Today is our last day inspecting and it promises to be a long one. We left our -1 star hotel bright and early, 7 a.m. The trip was uneventful but proved to be rushed in order to catch the 4 p.m. ferry back. The next one would be 2 hours later. Well, using all my military planning and timing, we left 15 minutes early on a 4 hour trip. I mentioned to the driver araka , or faster, and off we sped. I am still feeling those dirt roads (if you know what I mean). We stopped for gas, and skipped lunch (again).

Our accompanying car stopped for lunch. Well, as it is typical that nothing is ever the same from one day to the next, the ferry left at 3:30 instead of 4:00. We arrived at the terminal (are you on the edge of your seat in suspense yet?) and the guard (they're everywhere ) waved us onto the ferry araka araka (remember from an earlier post, faster faster!), as we drive on, the ropes have already been cast off and 2 minutes later, we are on our way. To make a long story short, we drive to the airport and I manage to get on the last seat available back to town, and civilization, yahoo!
Wait, it isn't over yet, I had to wait until the last minute before getting my ticket as I was on standby. I get my ticket but then have to rush to pay and get my luggage. As I pay, and the hundred dollar bills that I keep giving her are being refused, I start getting worried. Turns out that they only accept new hundreds series 2002 and newer. Thankfully, I had at least 2 of them and I made it to Dar es Salaam that evening, tired and hungry. Since breakfast at 6:30, a snack at 5 consisted of 4 samosas, which were excellent.

1 comment:

Bridget Larsen said...

Hello Bob and Connie,
I must come back and read the rest of your blog, I like to live vicariously and blogs are the way to go, seeing as I will never make a trip to that beautiful African country, I'd like to thank you for that opportunity to visit it through your eyes.
Bridget Larsen
Canberra Australia
http://bridgetlarsen.blogspot.com