Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dar Es Salaam - preparation for the big trip

Monday, 11 Aug.

We are in the planning stages for our trip. Right now, we will be driving near the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro, then crossing the Serengheti by car. I will take lots of pics, memory card is good for about 1200 pictures. I will upload the more memorable ones. (and they are paying me to do this!). It will be a very long and tiring trip but obviously well worth it, a triplike this only happens once in a lifetime.

The hotel, Courtyard is a decent and clean place, staff are courteous and the food is ok. Unfortunately, the beds suck big time, you can feel the wire springs, and I have changed rooms once now. I am still jet lagged but a couple of close encounters with Stella should remedy that. (for those of you who don't know who Stella is, see Stella Artois beer, NOT MY MOTHER!!! - hi mom! Yup, I'm drunk.....(insider joke after the beer bash that I went to at CEGEP to see April Wine, just a few short (not) years ago...

I am writing this as I await my meal, Indian food.

Well, will sign off for today, am on
Skype which is nice to be able to see Connie in person. Went to the fish market yeaterday, you wouldn't believe the cheap prices of the sea shells, especially compared to Florida. I bought a nice shell for only 3$. The only drawback is that it smells fishy.

Thanks for the ipac Jon, works really good.

Tuesday, Aug.12th.

Sleep still eludes me, until 1ish. Not a happy camper. We finally finalized the vehicle rental,about time considering we leave tomorrow. The trip will take us around the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro, crossing the Serengheti, sleeping on the shores of Lake Victoria and back to Dar es Salaam. I'm sure there will be many unique sights and lots of sore bums! Can't wait to upload pictures and share them with you all. (but you also have to remember that there was someone on the other side of the camera!

First few words of Swahili, araka = fast (had to tell this to the waiter since he was sooooo slow, 90 minutes for lunch!)

Chao for now

No comments: